While spending some vacation in Salt Lake City last week, I spent some time at the Family History Library looking through microfilm images of old Free State estate files. Among the several van Pletzens listed were Susanna Marina Carolina van Pletzen and Christina Johanna Sophia van Pletzen, both of whom list their parents as Nicolaas van Pletzen and Martha Fourie. I don’t have any record of this couple (yet), but given the ages of Susanna and Christina I suspect that Nicolaas may have been one of the sons of Carl van Pletzen and Anna Sauer.
(Included in some of the estate files are some baptism and marriage records of children entitled to an inheritance, providing a lot more information!)
- Martha Wilhelmina Zacharia Swanepoel (married Andries Orlandini)
- Frederik Hendrik Swanepoel
- Nicolaas Everhardus Swanepoel
- Susanna Maria Swanepoel (born about 1874, married Johannes Jacobus Fouché van Heerden on 29 Jan 1896 at Dewetsdorp)
- Pieter Andries Swanepoel (born 31 Aug 1875 and baptized at the Dutch Reformed Church in Rouxville)
- Anna Susanna Swanepoel (born about 1883, married Izak Francois Nel on 16 Feb 1904 at Dewetsdorp)
- Elizabeth Cornelia Swanepoel
(The marriage records for Susanna Maria and Anna Susanna both say they were living at Blesbokfontein.)
Christina Johanna Sophia van Pletzen died 10 Sep 1894 at Watershed, Rouxville. The death register lists her age as 34 years, 6 months, 10 days, which would make her birth day 29 Feb 1860. She married Schalk Wilhelm van der Merwe, and they had five children.
- Gert van der Merwe (born 22 Mar 1881)
- Martha Wilhelmina Zacharia van der Merwe (born 21 Sep 1882)
- Johanna Jacoba Margrieta van der Merwe (born 24 Aug 1884)
- Christina Johanna Sophia van der Merwe (born 2 Sep 1887, married Jacobus Johannes Theron on 2 Jul 1906)
- Nicolaas Everhardus Sauer van der Merwe (born about Mar 1894)